Percy Moo as Einstein

Percy Moo as Einstein
Dog=Einstein2

Monday 22 October 2012

SELF-CENSORSHIP


Is self-censorship a good thing or a bad thing? Or both, depending on the context?

Probably in our relativistic world, the last option is the best course. We might censor ourselves so as not to upset people we love with opinions that might be hurtful. We have all received from proud children crayon-drawn houses with a chimney jutting out from the roof at an angle instead of rearing perpendicularly as it should. What good would it do to point out to the drawing’s creator that chimneys are not like that, and next time, please remember to draw it properly? Would we be adding to the sum of human knowledge and achievement? Are there any adults who you know (conceptual artists and challenging architects apart) who continue in this error?

So, what would this truth achieve? An upset child who will think twice next time before offering you the fruit of its considerable labours. You lose.

We might self-censor when faced with authority in the form of our boss, royalty or an overbearing policeman.

We might self-censor in order to avoid friction with friends, neighbours, colleagues etc.

We might self-censor and make a short-term concession for a long-term gain.

Or simply we might self-censor for our own existential good. Usually I spend part of my weekend writing the posts that I will later put on my blog. These posts are inspired by what has happened to me during the week.  This week has been particularly nasty at work. I wrote 3 posts and I am surprised that the computer screen did not melt due to the vitriol with which the posts dripped.

Vituperation was not my aim when starting this blog and so they were deleted forthwith. This, therefore, is my short meditation on self-censorship. Perhaps it is not always a good thing. On the other hand, when all that a non-censored barrage will do is engender non-productive negativity amongst both writer and reader, the best thing to do is go out and garden – which is exactly what I did.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you have had a bad week and I sympathize.

    Self-censorship, as you call it, is an essential skill that we learn in order to live in a social group. The goal of seeking cooperation and avoiding conflict means that we refrain from hurting people's feelings unless there is a very good reason to do so.

    Curbing one's often passionate feelings causes frustration. This is the price we pay for the benefits of living in a social group.

    I find living with a cat very illuminating in this regard because cats have no concept of social responsibility. They do not censor themselves. For example, no matter how often you shout at your cat for scratching the furniture, she will go and scratch the furniture and look you in the eye as she does so, in order to make a point. From the human point of view, this is outrageous behaviour; to a cat it is normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention cats. Just today I read this in Alexander McCall-Smith's 'Bertie Plays The Blues':
    'And cats?...Psychopaths every one of them. Show me a cat, Domenica, and I'll show you a psychopath. Textbook examples.'

    As a cat-lover and owner, felines fascinate me. Although I wouldn't go so far as to call them psychopaths, they all do have a certain streak of madness in them. That, and their individuality makes them a constant source of surprises and amusement - and occasionally frustration.
    I once saw a T-shirt that said "Dogs have owners, cats have staff."
    For me, that sums it up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete