Percy Moo as Einstein

Percy Moo as Einstein
Dog=Einstein2

Tuesday 9 April 2013

Am I (Turning into) White Trash?

Yesterday evening, as I sat out in the patio of The Shed, listening to my iPod, I realised that I was induging in White-trashery.

No swing seat or dog and unfortunately the icebox isn't 

full of Duff beer or Budweiser, but you get the general

idea.
Sitting there, drinking beer (admittedly from a long-stemmed Judy's glass) and surveying my kingdom of a rusting barbecue, a slowly-collapsing flat-screen TV box and other detritus that should have long been chucked out, listening to Seasick SteveLynrd Skynrd,  and other such American Rock and Blues, I suddenly realised that I was enjoying a White-trash moment.

And there is nothing wrong with that. The patio doesn't boast a rusting V8 engine - or even a V6. My gas-guzzling V6 is in full working order and in its corresponding vehicle (pron. vee-hickle). I do however have a half-dismantled motorbike in the front yard while currently the gas tank and other bike bits reside in my bathroom, waiting for me to get round to cleaning the carburettors. Maybe I'll leave that for my highly-skilled motorbike mechanic son. 

All I needed to complete the picture of a Good Ole Boy was to be sitting out in my undies (boxer shorts, preferably), kicking out listlessly at the chickens as they scrabble around the cigarette butts trying to get at the recently-planted donut seeds. I should have been wearing a yellowing halter-neck vest, a bottle of Jack Daniel's within easy reach, and have been smoking one of those matchstick-thin joints so favoured (or should that be favored?) by Americans, instead of the European fat ones. I indulge in neither, I hasten to add. However, I sat out in a jumper and cargo pants, sans joint. A pump-action shotgun held together by duct tape across my knees and a venerable half-blind, toothless, arthritic dog would have completed the picture. If the truth be known, I would have preferred a bottle of pink Champagne, but they don't sell that down at the local Chinese 7-11. Yet.

Still, the principle is what counts. For a while I was living the life of White trash - without the disadvantages of abject poverty and a lack of book-larnin'.

My origins are working-class Liverpudlian, so perhaps such stuff has a sort of atavistic charm. What is even more interesting is that my children are so obviously middle-class in outlook and upbringing - a tribute to the social mobility afforded to people like me thanks to the good State educational system we enjoyed in GB until the politicians started (and haven't yet stopped) tinkering with it in the 1970s.

Note: a Judy's glass is Liverpudlian for a stemmed glass. In my time there, when couples used to go out in the 'Pool, the usual order went something like "A pint of bitter and a half of lager & lime in a Judy's glass" - this latter obviously for the lady. The great advantage of all Judy's glasses is that if held correctly - by the base or stem, the beverage remains colder longer as one's body heat is not transmitted to the liquid 
Note 2: Please watch the donut seeds video. It's a true work of genius.

   

2 comments:

  1. Are you turning into White Trash? Hm, on the face of it, I would say no. For one thing, this is but one aspect of your lifestyle and that has a number of facets, most of which are as untrashlike as it gets.

    Home is different things to different people but for my money, it is a place where you can relax and be yourself and enjoy those precious moments of freedom from the pressures of the world. How exactly you do that is less important than the fact that you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words. Thank you. I also think it would be unwise to label anyone as trash because of their apparent lifestyle.
    For me, the most important factor in any home is that, as you say it is a refuge from the pressures of the world, both for yourself and the ones you love. It does not matter if it is a castle or a trailer in a trailer park.
    Home is probably the most powerful, the most emotive, word in the English language. I would dearly love to hope that for everyone, especially children, "Home" is synonymous with love, security, comprehension and peace.

    ReplyDelete